Bidding for a Contract

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:10:19 -0500

Bidding can take a variety of forms. With the more formal approach, an
entity will send out an "RFP" (request for proposal). There will often be
one informational meeting that any interested parties can attend - details
of the RFP will be covered and questions answered. Then the proposals are
prepared, sealed and submitted - that approach would be consistent with your
"blind" bid.

I would be surprised if a recording studio would take such a formal
approach.

I think David Love pretty much hit all the nails right on the head. One
other thing that comes to mind to include - standby time. If that one piano
must be tuned right before that particular recording session and that darn
drummer has to practice right then and there - well, you get the picture -
standby time.....

You might even want to try tuning a string or two on the pianos (if it's
okay with them). I'd hate to be under contract to tune a piano for my
regular fee and then find out afterwards that every string is mechanically
bonded to its agraffe - I don't know about you, but if such a piano has to
be tuned to perfection, it will take me quite a bit more time than
otherwise...... (I've got a particular Baldwin L in mind - grrrrrrrrrr).

Terry Farrell