regulation buttons on keys...?

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:36:55 EST

List

I am doing some regulatory work on an old (1940s) Kimball grand.   On the
back of the keys, there is a regulation button on the underside of the key.   It
 looks just like a letoff button,a little round wooden barrel with felt on
the underside.

What's the purpose of this?   How should it be regulated?   Seems to me that
all the other pianos in the world work just fine without this little button.
I'm tempted to just remove them.   That would probably be better than having
them in the wrong position creating problems.

Could they be for key levelling?   (Move the back of the key up and the front
goes down, etc.)

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate