regulation buttons on keys...?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 08:41:53 -0600

At 08:36 3/7/2005, you wrote:
>List
>
>I am doing some regulatory work on an old (1940s) Kimball grand.  On the
>back of the keys, there is a regulation button on the underside of the
>key.  It  looks just like a letoff button,a little round wooden barrel
>with felt on the underside.
>
>What's the purpose of this?  How should it be regulated?  Seems to me that
>all the other pianos in the world work just fine without this little
>button.  I'm tempted to just remove them.  That would probably be better
>than having them in the wrong position creating problems.
>
>Could they be for key levelling?  (Move the back of the key up and the
>front goes down, etc.)
>
>Tom Sivak
>Chicago PTG Associate

Verrrry interrrresting...

Your description is pointing in the key leveling direction - pictures?

What is the punching supply under the keys?  If those things are really for
leveling, then I would expect to see minimal and equal number of punchings
throughout the whole keyboard.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.