voicing, an art

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:08:01 +0100

On 6-mrt-05, at 6:22, David Andersen wrote:

>  It=92s a lifetime of listening and learning. =A0I still feel like a =
rank=20
> novice a lot of the time.
>  Voicing is a noble challenge. It demands that so many things about=20
> the piano be right.
>  When you become passionate about the voice of the instrument, your=20
> toleration of unregulated and unprepared pianos becomes slimmer and=20
> slimmer, and your business changes. This coming week, 4 of the 5 days=20=

> are one long day, or 2 long days, with a good grand piano. It wasn=92t=20=

> like that 6 or 7 years ago; it was much more tuning 3 or 4 pianos a=20
> day. As my ears have grown, my practice has grown and improved.

100% voicing depends indeed on a lifetime of listening, the quality of=20=

an instrument, and on the artistry of the technician.
People who excel in voicing, must have a special talent for copying=20
sounds, have acquired a specially developed ear, have a very solid=20
background in regulation and must have many years behind them of tuning=20=

all kinds of instruments.
That makes the profession of a voicing technician an almost impossible=20=

task, an ongoing quest for molding matter and sound.

EAR

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek