Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:03:43 -0600

MessageAlan,

It does take a lot of study--or, I should say, it takes a lot of doing =
and listening.

Nick Gravagne, Don Mannino and one of Kawai's master techs gave a really =
excellent, clearly explained class on voicing (Kawais) last year in =
Nashville. =20

Have you ever taken a voicing class by Wally Brooks?  Of course, his =
presentation may have changed in the past 20 years......
:-)

But, it was Wally who explained it the best to me *eons ago* and got me =
going--where the hammer needs to be hard, where it needs to be soft, =
etc.  Power, attack, sustain, what kind of stitches to make with the =
needles, reducing weight.  I was eager and ready, I had my information =
and went with it.  I've found (my opinion!) that the basic rules pretty =
much hold true no matter what hammer you're working on, BUT! the =
different types of hammers require different approaches to accomplish =
those same goals.  You could think of it sort of like variations on a =
theme (if you catch my drift).  Of course, every once in a while you get =
a Surprise Symphony!  When that happens, you reach into your voicing bag =
of tricks (I'm always adding to mine) and find something that will work.

Much luck,

Barbara Richmond

  Alan R. Barnard
  Always Studyin' but Not Always Gettin' It in Salem, MO