Modern Tone

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:57:13 -0500

Hi Brad,

There was a quick addendum to another thread about this recently.

I was commenting on the Rubenstein recording of the Chopin Nocturnes=20
(which Michael Spalding pointed out the CD as the RCA Red Seal=20
5613-2-RC). It is a excellent quality recording, awesome sounding=20
piano, and good playing on Rubenstein's part. It is from the 60s, so he=20=

wasn't a young guy trying to "prove his chops".

I also like Werner Haas' recordings of Debussy, on the Phillips label.=20=

There's a bit of hiss, but otherwise the recording is very good and the=20=

piano sounds nice. Many people interpret Debussy in a washed-out way=20
with a lot of rubato, but Haas is very straightforward so the "dreamy"=20=

Debussy sound has structure. And he does have a great tone.

- John

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched