Modern Tone

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:38:44 -0500

Brad Smith, RPT wrote:

> Hi David and List,
> Can you recommend some good CD's ?

Brad, one that I have (recommended by a client no less..) that is modern
in technology and the Piano sounds 'old school' (at least to my ear) is
Arcadi Volodus and the Berlin Philharmonic performing Rachmaninoff's
Piano Concerto #3. I believe the Piano is a German 'D'. As far as modern
recordings go, I have yet to hear one that is as good as this one. If
there's a 'close' mic being used, it was well engineered because it
sounds like the piano is part of the room yet dominant enough when it
needs to be.

> I would love to hear Chopin played on a well voiced piano, by a mature
> pianist who doesn't need to prove their chops to everyone.

I think we're all listening for this recommendation..

I would be interested in hearing comments about this recording -
positive or negative -  if anyone decides to take me up on my
recommendation.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)