Modern Tone

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:11:03 -0500

Re: Modern ToneHi David and List,
Can you recommend some good CD's ?
I would love to hear Chopin played on a well voiced piano, by a mature
pianist who doesn't need to prove their chops to everyone.
Menahem Pressler comes to mind.

Doesn't have to be Chopin, but just beautiful tone, and musically mature
playing.
Were you in Nashville last summer?  I liked the Steinway D prepared by Eric
Schandall.
I was in the back of the (very long) room, but could experience everything
clearly.

Any suggestions appreciated.  ( I also have a couple of CD's that will
become shims or frizbees, too.)
Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: David Andersen [mailto:bigda@gte.net]
  Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:28 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Modern Tone

    Tone quality is always an interesting topic to me.

    Kind of THE interesting topic for piano wizards.

     I've gotten rid of a few recordings because I couldn't stand the
voicing of the piano.

    me too---more than a few; most of Keith Jarrett’s recordings, for one.

    Voicing in a major league, world-class manner is a product of creating a
tonal memory; this is done by listening to great pianos however you can.
The performance pianos recorded in the 40’s and 50’s were, by and large,
dark, powerful, clear, and throaty, with roar and snap at double or triple
forte, but NEVER clangy or distorted. IMHO.

    Modern recordings, while able to take advantage of pristine and precise
recording technology, often sound thin, bangy, and far away.

    Thanks for your love of the craft, Barbara.

    More on this later.

    David Andersen
    Malibu, CA