Modern Tone

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:12:53 -0500

Re: Modern ToneDavid Andersen wrote:
Modern recordings, while able to take advantage of pristine and precise =
recording technology, often sound thin, bangy, and far away

David, Barbara and voicing fans out there
Here, here! A tip of the hap to all those out there who share the same =
view-point.  I think that this is more of a case of evolution of =
tone...like it or not in today's modern world. I guess when singers can =
get away with sounding trashing and be pop icons, why can't pianos =
become more and more glassy...=20
I too have recordings I cannot listen to. I can't tell you the amount of =
times when I'm in the car listening to the classical station  have to =
change the station due to the piano voicing.  The sad part is that a few =
of the times I've had to turn the radio off were recordings I was =
involved with. Didn't agree with the artist then and surely don't agree =
with them after the fact.
  Tom Servinsky

  ----- Original Message -----=20

  From: David Andersen=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:27 PM
  Subject: Re: Modern Tone

    Tone quality is always an interesting topic to me.=20

    Kind of THE interesting topic for piano wizards.

     I've gotten rid of a few recordings because I couldn't stand the =
voicing of the piano.

    me too---more than a few; most of Keith Jarrett's recordings, for =
one. =20

    Voicing in a major league, world-class manner is a product of =
creating a tonal memory; this is done by listening to great pianos =
however you can.  The performance pianos recorded in the 40's and 50's =
were, by and large, dark, powerful, clear, and throaty, with roar and =
snap at double or triple forte, but NEVER clangy or distorted. IMHO.

    Modern recordings, while able to take advantage of pristine and =
precise recording technology, often sound thin, bangy, and far away.

    Thanks for your love of the craft, Barbara.

    More on this later.

    David Andersen
    Malibu, CA