Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Peter Joris pjoris@pandora.be
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:36:26 +0100

Hi stephane,

=20

Yes, I=92m from Belgium (Limburg).

Maybe we can meet sometime are you from the area of Brussels?

=20

I will try with steelwool, where do you get an antioxydant (in Belgium) =
for
steel(iron), I know you can find them easy for silver and copper but I =
don=92t
think they will do the trick.

=20

Kind regards,

Peter Joris

=20

  _____ =20

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of St=E9phane Collin
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 21:26
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

=20

Hi Peter.

=20

I think, to remove old strings, it is very important to avoid kinking =
those,
or they will break.  When you release tension on old strings, pull on =
the
speaking length while you turn the pin, so the coil unfolds straight of =
the
pin.  after, you can clean the string with steelwool and d=E9oxydant =
(anti
oxydant ? what is the english word ?) product.

=20

To determine what steel was used in the piano, I would rely on in situ
breaking test, knowing that in a piano, and certainly old strings having
some fatigue of being bent many times, the breaking point is lower than =
what
you would encounter on the same new string in a laboratory.  I believe =
in
those times the strings were tensionned about a major third below their
breaking point, which is relatively higher a tension than modern scaling
shemes (often a major sixth). =20

=20

By the way, are you from Belgium ?

=20