Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:38:30 -0500

Just curious: on what basis do you characterize the soundboard as =
"fine"?

Any photos? Sounds like an interesting project. I'm sorry to report that =
I don't know much about these.

Terry Farrell
  Currently I am restoring a Collard & Collard Grand Serial: 16016 this =
should date between 1830 and 1840 I think.
  There is a number on the plate "K2" is this the type number?  It is =
about 183cm (6ft) long.

  =20

  Is there anybody out there who has done this before?

  Im looking for information about what kind of strings to use for the =
restinging, what felt to use for refelting the hammers etc.

  Actually I can use any tip available, this the first time I am doing =
this, this will be a great for learning.

  =20

  Sound board is fine, the veneer of the case is rather bad (a lot of =
work), the pinblock feels still good on 1 or 2 loose pins.

  It was tuned to A440 and it holds very well.

  =20

  I am thinking of a rescale, so it can be tuned at A440 afterwards with =
a lower tension, doess anybody has experience with this?

  =20

  Also I would like to take out the plate for refinishing but it goes =
all the way into the case wood, I did not take any veneer of to see how =
it is constructed, maybe any of you know this?

  =20

  Any help will be very much appreciated,

  =20

  Kind regards