Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:25:51 +0100

Hi Peter.

I think, to remove old strings, it is very important to avoid kinking =
those, or they will break.  When you release tension on old strings, =
pull on the speaking length while you turn the pin, so the coil unfolds =
straight of the pin.  after, you can clean the string with steelwool and =
d=E9oxydant (anti oxydant ? what is the english word ?) product.

To determine what steel was used in the piano, I would rely on in situ =
breaking test, knowing that in a piano, and certainly old strings having =
some fatigue of being bent many times, the breaking point is lower than =
what you would encounter on the same new string in a laboratory.  I =
believe in those times the strings were tensionned about a major third =
below their breaking point, which is relatively higher a tension than =
modern scaling shemes (often a major sixth). =20

By the way, are you from Belgium ?

Best regards,
St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Peter Joris=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 6:25 PM
  Subject: RE: Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

  Stephane,

  =20

  The sound is rather good, at least as good as it can be because the =
hammers are severely worn, this makes the treble to hard and the bass to =
soft.

  The sound is not comparable with modern grands tho, still firm, not to =
sharp with a spark of briliance in it, not glassy as I read in the =
modern sound treath.

  The end result will very much be depending on the hammers

  I was thinking of refelting the hammer, now I only have to choose the =
felt!!!

  =20

  I would be nice to know what the correct age of the piano is, this =
could help me in choosing the strings, I cleaned the bass strings =
already, i tested 2 bass strings and they sound a bit better after the =
cleaning but this will show in the end

  The plain strings are so rusty that I don't know how to clean them. Do =
you have a suggestion?

  =20

  Kind regards,

  Peter Joris