Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Peter Joris pjoris@pandora.be
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:30:07 +0100

Terry,

The soundboard is fine as far as it is free of cracks, there was only in the
past someone who cleaned the board (as far as it looks 80 years ago) and
made small groves in the board.

I hope I can fix this with sanding and refinishing because I cannot remove
the plate without destroying the piano.

When I find some time in the next days I will bring some pictures online

Peter Joris

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Terry
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 16:39
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Just curious: on what basis do you characterize the soundboard as "fine"?

Any photos? Sounds like an interesting project. I'm sorry to report that I
don't know much about these.

Terry Farrell

Currently I am restoring a Collard & Collard Grand Serial: 16016 this should
date between 1830 and 1840 I think.

There is a number on the plate "K2" is this the type number?  It is about
183cm (6ft) long.

Is there anybody out there who has done this before?

Im looking for information about what kind of strings to use for the
restinging, what felt to use for refelting the hammers etc.

Actually I can use any tip available, this the first time I am doing this,
this will be a great for learning.

Sound board is fine, the veneer of the case is rather bad (a lot of work),
the pinblock feels still good on 1 or 2 loose pins.

It was tuned to A440 and it holds very well.

I am thinking of a rescale, so it can be tuned at A440 afterwards with a
lower tension, doess anybody has experience with this?

Also I would like to take out the plate for refinishing but it goes all the
way into the case wood, I did not take any veneer of to see how it is
constructed, maybe any of you know this?

Any help will be very much appreciated,

Kind regards

Peter Joris

Pianotuner (maybe becoming rebuilder)