Action Center Pin Progression

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:55:46 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote:

Actually, no, it doesn't make sense at all to me.=20

Oh geezzz. I'm a-gonner get hammered!

I can see the=20
sense in the reaming/burnishing thing, except that the burnishing=20
mileage changes constantly as the pin fills up with flanges. Where's=20
the uniformity there?=20

You can either slide the flange once over an 18-inch length, or three =
times over six inches. Pretty uniform.

But then it gets to assembling the shank=20
(whatever) and flange, and you lose me altogether. As difficult as=20
it often is to push a pin through a birdseye, how is this done with=20
a long pin?=20

Hmmmm. Give me a week or so and I'll report back. I have done this =
before, but it has been a couple years.

Also, how does pushing the assembly down the length of a=20
long pin affect that fit?=20

Ditto as above.

Also, since both ends of the pin have been=20
clipped with this installation process, how can you get the pin out=20
someday for another level of repinning without screwing up the=20
birdseye?=20

I remember in the class this question came up. Maybe if you use the $287 =
Renner wire nippers you get a nice smooth cut. I suppose some =
experimentation is in order here.....

There may be entire worlds I'm not seeing here, but this=20
method strikes me as having a lot more built in inconsistencies and=20
problems than the backward and unenlightened way we short-pinners=20
struggle with, but then I'm sort of slow sometimes.=20

Could be. I know that is how Joel Rappaport taught the class (or at =
least as close to it as my recollection, class handout and notes will =
allow).

Greg Graham wrote:

The idea was that an entire rail of parts could be
rebushed efficiently by using the Renner pre-glued
cloth (Renner part 1049, get six strips per rail),
pulling the cloth thru the bushing, pulling on the