Dangers of Teflon (TM)

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:21:51 -0800 (PST)

So, if I understand the stuff on the internet, which
Sarah seems to have accurately summarized, the PFOE
used in the production of Teflon is the dangerous
stuff, and is not present or released by Teflon powder
at normal temperatures.  We and our customers have
nothing to fear but fear itself (which, unfortunately,
is enough to impact piano sale prices?).

It would be nice if PTG had a science review committee
to look at things like this and make formal
recommendations to the membership.  I would like to
have something other than internet virtual reality to
show Mrs. Jones when she claims her piano has been
ruined and turned into a toxic waste Love Canal
because I lubed the knuckles with Teflon.  I don't
want to buy her piano, nor get sued for a birth
defect.

Just two weeks ago I used my piano kit teflon to lube
the wheels for an entire Cub Pack's Pinewood Derby
race.  I just love getting email suggesting I've
potentially poisoned a future generation.  I "know" it
just ain't so, but sure would like to be able to point
to some documentation.

There is a very nice letter in the archives about cast
iron plate breakage which saved a tuner (many tuners)
from such mental and legal grief.  Can we have a
similar paper for teflon?

Anyone in the PTG leadership looking for a good
value-added project for the membership?

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA