Action Center Pin Progression

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:51:13 -0600

> Nope, nope, nope, nope. And no, you are not an idiot! One can
> daisy-chain a set of flanges on a long wire for sizing the bushings to
> the wire. Then you remove all the flanges. Then use a wire with a filed
> end (roughed up with file for reaming - if desired/needed) to do any
> reaming and/or burnishing that you want (the long wire really, does work
> so very nice for these purposes). Then you assemble flange and thingee
> (wippen, hammer shank flange, whatever) and slide one assembly down the
> wire at a time to the opposite end and snip the wire.
>
> Make sense?

Actually, no, it doesn't make sense at all to me. I can see the
sense in the reaming/burnishing thing, except that the burnishing
mileage changes constantly as the pin fills up with flanges. Where's
the uniformity there? But then it gets to assembling the shank
(whatever) and flange, and you lose me altogether. As difficult as
it often is to push a pin through a birdseye, how is this done with
a long pin? Also, how does pushing the assembly down the length of a
long pin affect that fit? Also, since both ends of the pin have been
clipped with this installation process, how can you get the pin out
someday for another level of repinning without screwing up the
birdseye? There may be entire worlds I'm not seeing here, but this
method strikes me as having a lot more built in inconsistencies and
problems than the backward and unenlightened way we short-pinners
struggle with, but then I'm sort of slow sometimes. Enlightenment???

Ron N