Stein-D rolled bridge

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:52:50 -0800

David,

Bridges can tilt forward if the bridge to plate alignment was off from side
to side.  In other words, the plate was set in without carefully checking
the string to bridge alignment.    This can be observed when the piano is
new by the unequal string angles at the bridge - in your case, the rear
string section would not be parallel to the front section.
I have rebuilt pianos which lived for 50 years with this problem, solved by
either replacing the pinblock and moving the plate sideways, or recapping
the bridges.

As Terry said, you should be able to see the soundboard curves from the
above situation.  It was obvious in the pianos I worked with.  If the
soundboard has a smooth arch of a crown, then the issue is with the bridge
cap itself.  In this case it might not require a new cap - re-planing and
notching, then lowering the plate may do the trick.

In any case, I would suggestion you call Kent Webb or someone there at
Steinway.  Let them know the complaint about the tone, let them know what
your measurements and observations are.  They will likely want to send
someone else to check it as well - I would recommend that you try to be
there when their technician comes.

I think we'd all like to hear the outcome of this, once it is all sorted out.

Don Mannino