Lawrence Welk tuning

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:33:56 -0800

Here's what I find, having been part of that conversation:

>>All the middle strings of all the trichords are to be tuned in ET based on
A-440; all the left strings to be tuned in ET based on A-434; and all the
right-hand strings to be tuned in ET based on A-446. This produces the +6,-6
beats at A4. ...Strip mute all the three-string
unisons and tune all the center strings as usual. Then we would set the ETD
to A-434 (how to do this varies with device) and tune all the left-hand
strings, and finally set the ETD to A-446 and tune all the right-hand
strings.<<
Bass strings were to be tuned normally.

I never did this, so can't speak from experience - but these numbers sound
extreme to me. Maybe tune the three A4 strings to 438, 440, 442.

Jason