Restringing Time

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:32:40 -0400

Hi Terry,
I don't think anyone can give you an estimate, that would be of much help from the information you have given.
How many strings are in the section?
As someone else has said, perhaps the pins are tight enough, so you could just back out, and use a dummy pin. If cost were the reason for only doing one section, this might be the way to go.
I find that in restringing, I can do 20-25 pins per hour. That is for the replacing.
I assume you would be replacing, and bringing up to pitch as you go, so as not to disrupt things too much, so that would take longer.
Replacing bass strings takes about 2 hours, and that is about 40.
It is reasonable to just replace one size of wire. I have found that sometimes one gauge of wire is defective, and you can have frequent breakage in that one section.
Sorry not to have been of much help.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Love
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 1:41 PM
  Subject: RE: Restringing Time

  Time and materials.  You never know.  I would try and reuse the existing pins if they are reasonably tight.  Just back them off one turn and detach the strings.  Prewind on a dummy pin the new string and transfer the coil.  Will you have to remove the bass strings?  I would estimate a full day to get it strung and the dampers back in, bass strings back on then add 3 tuning visits to the cost in advance and schedule them 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 8 weeks following the date of the stringing.   One comment, if the tenor strings are breaking due to rust, that doesn't bode well for what is likely to happen in the treble or the upper bass.  The tenor section is usually the most durable.

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net