Restringing Time

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:41:13 -0800

Time and materials.  You never know.  I would try and reuse the existing
pins if they are reasonably tight.  Just back them off one turn and
detach the strings.  Prewind on a dummy pin the new string and transfer
the coil.  Will you have to remove the bass strings?  I would estimate a
full day to get it strung and the dampers back in, bass strings back on
then add 3 tuning visits to the cost in advance and schedule them 2
weeks, 4 weeks and 8 weeks following the date of the stringing.   One
comment, if the tenor strings are breaking due to rust, that doesn't
bode well for what is likely to happen in the treble or the upper bass.
The tenor section is usually the most durable.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Terry
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 9:02 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Restringing Time

I have a client that wants to restring just the one tenor section of an
old Baldwin R (5' 8" or so) - apparently just that section is rusty and
strings have broke - he just wants to get the thing functioning for now.
Seems to me there should be no problem doing this on-site (in the home).
We are going to assume the pinblock is adequate for tuning pins one or
two sizes up (I realize that may turn out to not be the case). I need to
give him a price.

How many hours would anyone be willing to estimate is appropriate to
allot for this service?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell