to all and - no one in particular -

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:32:10 +0100

> Quoting Ron Nossaman <rnossaman@cox.net>:
>

>>> The Ron, Del and Ron show??????????  Under the influence????????????
>>> How insulting.  Whether I agree with Robin or not, I certainly
>>> appreciate the time he and others take to make earnest contributions=20=

>>> the list.  This kind of editorializing is unproductive and unneeded.
>>>
>>> David Love
>>

>> Ah, someone is awake. Thank you David.
>
> Actually, a number of us are quite wide awake, thank you very much.
>
> What should be clear from all of the postings on these variously=20
> related
> threads is that no one person has all the answers; and, further, that,
> collectively we all know more than we can possibly know severally. =20
> Whether
> one agrees with what is published to the list is relatively=20
> inconsequential.
>  What does matter is the exchange of ideas, concepts and experience.
>
> Horace

As an email person, I noticed over the years that on any e-mail forum=20
it is very easy to get into a small or even a big brawl over whatever.
E-mailers hardly ever see each other, and e-mailing in general is a=20
very risky business because e-mailers miss eye contact and body=20
language, and a sentence or even just a word may result in a possible=20
un-asked for and un-wanted reaction.

Getting agitated, irritated, frustrated and even insulted or hurt,=20
depends on the flammability, character, and personality of an=20
individual.
It is very often better to take some time and distance from an e-mail=20
full of 'words', instead of pulling out the guns and knives pronto.
We all have our weaknesses, and me, IO in the very first place.
I know I may have hurt or insulted people on this list, but I can=20
assure you that for at least 99% it was un-intentionally. If you got=20
hurt by me, please read this last sentence again and please except my=20
sincere apologies right now!

If someone has an introvert and shy personality, that person may=20
perhaps never take part in the never ending piano discussion on DA=20
list. That's not bad, that's just how it is, and we have to accept it.
That person just reads and thinks about it, or does not think about it=20=

at all afterwards.
They are called lurkers, so I learned when I tried to understand and=20
improve my English (with the help of a kind and helpful American=20
friend).

If you dare to come forward and show at least something of your being,=20=

you take part, and you are able to exchange your thoughts.
If you have an extrovert personality, you take part of this list maybe=20=

every day, and you chat with many, and discuss all kinds of issues all=20=

the time.

If the latter is the case, it might very well be possible that at least=20=

some of the many words you type in will be understood in a wrong way,=20
and unintended.
If so, that person will then be corrected. or even get punished=20
immediately, because the other person or persons who felt insulted, or=20=

hurt, have a need to retaliate, which is understandable... we're all=20
humans ok?
I myself have a so called extrovert or outgoing personality, which=20
means that I am aware of the dangers of "showing up, of showing=20
yourself".

What I am actually trying to say here, is that, in order to not let a=20
possible conflict escalate, it is also possible to remain quiet, to say=20=

nothing for at least a while, and wait and see how things develop.

If you feel the need to correct a co-subscriber, we could take Dale=20
Erwins way of "diplomacy" as a very good example of how to say what you=20=

have to say, and at the same time show mercy towards the person who=20
"gets on your nerve".

In that case, stabbing and lashing out, is unnecessary and an=20
escalation has been put off and avoided.

If you 'weigh' your thoughts, you weigh your words       .......

Where 'music' is no harm can be

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
Amsterdam
The Netherlands