A general description of soundboard function, long.

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:13:35 -0500

So Y'all-

If I'm reading this right, within only a few posts, we've been able to
distill Robin Hufford's latest effort to its essence:
Grrrrr.......

Dysfunctionality is tragic.   To me, the only question should have been,
"where and when?"

(Hufford)
>  What follows will be a synoptic treatment of this entire question which
> will be published in substantially greater detail later this year, elsewhere.

I think RicB's honest attempt to express appreciation for Robin's
thoughtful post resorted, quite unnecessarily and detrimentally, to
provocative and gratuitous characterizations:

>  the Ron, Del, and Ron show... with supporting roles played by Terry and
> Dale.
>
>I ...believe they are just under the influence of the other three, as
>there has been really no alternative for them. So I am greatfull that you
>are able to take the time.
>
>  recognize gaping holes in some of the ideas presented by these three.
> Really, one does not even need much depth in this regard to recognize
> that something is adrift. The general fervour and zealous nature of their
> argumentation, despite obvious historical facts persuant to how the
> public in general views pianos and the sounds they project are enough.

The ultimate disservice of these references in what was intended to be an
expression of support, would have, with a little reflection, been obvious,
and avoidable.

RicB...I share your enthusiasm and curiosity for Robin's ideas.  I wish I
had more background with which to assimilate the information.  Why not
entertain the possibility that even Del and Ron might be curious?

Any further posting under this subject line should relate to the original
material, it seems to me.  Even then, if Robin is working on a more
detailed presentation, trying to engage him in secondary discussion might
be distractive.  I, myself, would welcome some direction in source reading
that would prepare me to better understand what he's talking about.

Wide awake when I shouldn't be...

David Skolnik