A general description of soundboard function, long.

Fred Brown thepianoman@adelphia.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:16:12 -0500

I too would have to concur. I generally lurk on the group reading everything
rarely commenting.  I have done one of Del's SB designs and WOW what a
difference it made. S&S M with radial laminated rib pattern, cutoff, floated
bass, fish, accujust pins, Baldwin adjustable plate suspension and rescaled
with transition bridge. Traditionalist would say its circle of sound has
been desecrated etc ad nausea. I say HOT ROD. I REALLY appreciate them
sharing their knowledge. Also, kudos to Terry Farrell on the excellent
bridge and sound board work ( board in a box). If there are those who would
consider me to be the mindless member of some kind of Cult then so be it.
BUTT, I began college as Engineering Major before switching to music and
have a degree in Electronics(Satellite communications). I say all this NOT
to toot my own horn but to say that maybe some of us are making an honest
effort to understand the principles of acoustics and design as they effect
piano construction. Speaking from an electronics background(yea its about
waves too), impedance matching in things like antennas and wave guides, mic
cables is critical. I could go on but it wouldn't do any good...just drive
the ear wax deeper into the canals of the unwashed...
Fred Brown RPT
ATL GA