centerpin bushing broaches - quality control

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:14:15 -0000

MessageHello Brad & List
I make my own broaches using cut-offs from bass covered cores - they go =
up to about 0.056" or more. Cut off the required length, put it up in a =
high speed drill and use emery paper to bring it down to required size. =
The roughness will ensure it works as a reamer and you taper one end =
just enough to give entry to the bushings.
Regards from another sunny Sussex Downs village day
Michael G (UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brad Smith, RPT=20
  To: spalding48@earthlink.net ; 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:59 PM
  Subject: RE: centerpin bushing broaches - quality control

  http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/center_pin_kit.shtml

  Best regards,
  Brad Smith, RPT
  www.smithpiano.com

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Michael Spalding [mailto:spalding48@earthlink.net]=20
    Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:52 AM
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Subject: centerpin bushing broaches - quality control

    List,

    A few months ago I bought a second set of broaches.  The first set =
was still in great shape, none missing, reaming sections still sharp and =
cutting well.  Problem is, I had always had problems fitting size 20 1/2 =
(.051) bushings.  The 051 reamer made them too loose, but the 050 =
wouldn't get them loose enough.  So I put a mic on the reamers, and =
found that all were correct size, except the 051 was actually 052.  =
Since I had been using this set for many years, I figured the warranty =
expired long ago, so for $20 or so why not just buy a new set?  Well, =
here's why not:  The sizes of the new set are all over the place.  =
broaches are oval by 1 to 2 thousandths, reaming sections smaller than =
burnishing sections by 1 to 2 thousandths, and again the 051 is closer =
to 052.  I anticipate that when I call Schaff, they will be willing to =
exchange, but the new set is likely not going to be any more accurate =
than what I have.&! nbsp; Is there a source for accurate broaches?  Must =
I learn how to make my own?  Any other thoughts/ideas?

    thanks much

    Mike

    Michael Spalding
    spalding48@earthlink.net