centerpin bushing broaches - quality control

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:59:47 -0500

http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/center_pin_kit.shtml
<http://www.mothergoosetools.com>

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
 <http://www.smithpiano.com> www.smithpiano.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Spalding [mailto:spalding48@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:52 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: centerpin bushing broaches - quality control

List,

A few months ago I bought a second set of broaches.  The first set was
still in great shape, none missing, reaming sections still sharp and
cutting well.  Problem is, I had always had problems fitting size 20 1/2
(.051) bushings.  The 051 reamer made them too loose, but the 050
wouldn't get them loose enough.  So I put a mic on the reamers, and
found that all were correct size, except the 051 was actually 052.
Since I had been using this set for many years, I figured the warranty
expired long ago, so for $20 or so why not just buy a new set?  Well,
here's why not:  The sizes of the new set are all over the place.
broaches are oval by 1 to 2 thousandths, reaming sections smaller than
burnishing sections by 1 to 2 thousandths, and again the 051 is closer
to 052.  I anticipate that when I call Schaff, they will be willing to
exchange, but the new set is likely not going to be any more accurate
than what I have.&! nbsp; Is there a source for accurate broaches?  Must
I learn how to make my own?  Any other thoughts/ideas?

thanks much

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net