Soundboard stiffness vs. string coupling

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:18:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ron,

Good, I see what you are saying.  That leaves then the
rear duplex length as a means of adjusting the amount
of energy coupled into the soundboard.

I will play with the Accujust setting.

Thanks,

Vladan

======================

>-  When you talk about string-to-bridge "coupling",
do
>you mean the physical attachment of the string to the
>bridge so that the string doesn't bounce off the
>bridge, or are you thinking of the mechanical
coupling
>factor - a mathematical model representing the
portion
>of string energy that is coupled off to the
soundboard
>via the bridge?  (My use of the word "coupling"
refers
>to the second.)

I wasn't aware there was a difference. Clamped is
clamped is clamped.

>-  On a piano with vertical hitch pins (like a
Baldwin
>Accujust), if we set the downbearing to zero on a
>single hitch pin (but leave all the other strings as
>they were), will there be a significant difference in
>tone compared to the same string when it has its
>factory adjusted downbearing?

It would certainly surprise me. I've tried it and
didn't hear anything
identifiably different, though I've read one report on
the list here
indicating there was a detectable difference. But then
I've read a lot of
stuff here that doesn't connect to anything in my
world, so I'd say you
would have to try it for yourself if you have any hope
of making sense of
it. Incidentally, a little time with a few Accujust
equipped Baldwins and a
bubble gage will have you questioning the definition
of "factory adjusted
downbearing" pretty quickly.

Ron N