tuning pin torque

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:55:29 -0500

In measuring and reporting tuning pin torques what is the normal
assumption about the contribution of the string to the measurement?
This will provide about 35in.lb helping of hindering tuning pin
torque depending on the turning direction during the measurement.
Typical values are often mentioned, eg. "loose pins are when torque
is <50in.lb" "ideal tuning pin torque is around 100-150 in.lb range",
">200in/lb torque is tight pins" and so on, without saying if these
are intended to be true torque (i.e. no string), or clockwise vs
counterclockwise with a strung pin at tension. The latter will vary
+/-35in/lb or so [for a typical full tension string]. I suspect the
reported pin torque values probably refer to counterclockwise and
strung pins, since it's more likely this is how they would be
measured [although not when re-pinning a pinblock of course]. So a
torque of say "50in.lb" woulld actually be a true torque of around
85in.lb with just the pin. But I'm guessing this is the intent of the
reported numbers.

On the same subject, I'd be interested to know what hole sizes are
typically used by our various dramatis personae here, say for
reference 2/0 pins. But tell us your pinblock material as well for
obvious reasons so comparison is meaningful.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115