soundboards

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:59 +0100

Hi Robin,

I too agree completely with what you and John are saying about many =
older pianos. Somethimes I have the opportunity to hear great pianists =
playing on good older instruments (of course they know how to play on =
those pianos) and it makes me feel happy and understand  the music more =
than if played on modern instruments.
Often I find old pianos to have a longer sustain and singing tone than =
recent ones.

Pierre
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robin Hufford=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 7:43 PM
  Subject: Re: soundboards

  Hello John,=20
       I agree with you completely.  Many older pianos, as I have =
indicated here before, have, at least to my ear and that of many others, =
a more musical, expressive sound.  Nor do they particularly lack =
sustain, although this certainly can occur.  Where they do there are, in =
the large majority of cases, conditions that can be corrected with some =
work.  As to sound, there is little doubt of this amongst musicians, in =
general and, especially, among piano players, who have to make the =
instrument do what it is designed for, that is, produce music. =20
       On this subject there is, however, substantial skepticism, among =
technicians, especially here, who don't play, or, only play in a very =
limited way.  These individuals obviously don't judge sound by the =
methods, whatever they are, of musicians, nor do they reach similar =
conclusions.  So, I would stick with what, actually, sounds good.  Nor, =
are their analyses, whatever they say, particularly =
scientifically-based, whatever the illusion given.    The so-called =
analyses presented here are, in my mind, elaborate rationalizations for =
the joys of woodworking and, although superficially scientific sounding, =
are gross oversimplifications for soundboard functions.   Vague =
pronouncements about stiffness here and there, diffuse claims regarding =
impedance, sneering asides as to the much derided "circle of sound", =
confident assertions of "compression failure" etc. are only partially =
correct, if at all and should be taken with a grain of salt.  So, I =
would stick with what sounds best and not, allow myself, as some appear =
to have done,  to be sold a bill of goods.=20
  Regards Robin Hufford, RPT
     =20

  Bec and John wrote:

    Hi Dale,=20

    We are coming at this from 2 different perspectives! The method of =
crowning used for the soundboard is not an issue I'm considering, I'm =
just relaying my ear's perspective based on my experience.=20

    My 80 year Steinway L has 2 very thin cracks, has crown and a warmth =
of sound I haven't heard in new L's, and I live in the northeast which =
has large humidity swings - I don't even notice any significant lack of =
sustain in any particular section. But even if my piano had cracks =
galore, say like one of my friends' old Mason and Hamlin A (which =
incidentally sounds quite nice), what difference does that make if it =
has a more pleasing sound than a new one with no cracks?=20

    -- John=20

         HI John=20
        I think you've hit a VERY SIGNIFICANT cause of our objections to =
new the new piano shaped objects being sold at Costco or wherever.=20
        .Yeah The Hammers. Yes, & voicing,  or a hammer transplant can =
seriously improve things And yet if the soundboard design & execution is =
lacking then the musical tone index goes down & the noise & aural pain =
index goes up.=20
        My experience ,with most old Os & Ls from the 20's. is The rib =
support in these pianos is so lacking that 9 out of 10 boards I see in =
these pianos are flat as pancakes and or have as many cracks as a =
venetian blind.=20
       Now remember I'm in Calif. where pianos longevity is greatly =
enhanced by our climate. Providing that the pianos lived here most of =
there lives they've suffered less.. So what does that tell you about the =
conditions of others that have groaned thru harsh winters & summers?=20
         My Advice to all is stop being so optimistic about the =
condition of old compression crowned boards. It's a method full of =
pitfalls which is a self destructing method in which all crown has =
collapsed by now  in pianos built 85 plus years ago=20
        Regards=20
        Dale