soundboards

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:43:43 -0600

Hello John,
     I agree with you completely.  Many older pianos, as I have
indicated here before, have, at least to my ear and that of many others,
a more musical, expressive sound.  Nor do they particularly lack
sustain, although this certainly can occur.  Where they do there are, in
the large majority of cases, conditions that can be corrected with some
work.  As to sound, there is little doubt of this amongst musicians, in
general and, especially, among piano players, who have to make the
instrument do what it is designed for, that is, produce music.
     On this subject there is, however, substantial skepticism, among
technicians, especially here, who don't play, or, only play in a very
limited way.  These individuals obviously don't judge sound by the
methods, whatever they are, of musicians, nor do they reach similar
conclusions.  So, I would stick with what, actually, sounds good.  Nor,
are their analyses, whatever they say, particularly
scientifically-based, whatever the illusion given.    The so-called
analyses presented here are, in my mind, elaborate rationalizations for
the joys of woodworking and, although superficially scientific sounding,
are gross oversimplifications for soundboard functions.   Vague
pronouncements about stiffness here and there, diffuse claims regarding
impedance, sneering asides as to the much derided "circle of sound",
confident assertions of "compression failure" etc. are only partially
correct, if at all and should be taken with a grain of salt.  So, I
would stick with what sounds best and not, allow myself, as some appear
to have done,  to be sold a bill of goods.
Regards Robin Hufford, RPT