perpetually sticking keys

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:28:38 -0500

Good point, Mike. One other thing is the connection of the drop sticker to
the back of the key. Often there is binding there, especially if the
adjusting nut is a dowel with felt glued around the bottom. If this is the
set up you have, take all of those stickers into your shop and sand the felt
down on your disc sander so that none sticks out past the sides of the
dowell.

Dean
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Michael Spalding
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 9:28 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: perpetually sticking keys

  Tom.

  One more thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet:  sometimes the
wire stickers can apply a forward or backward torque to the keys, depending
on the fit of the regulating nut in the mortise at the back of the key.
Sometimes the wire stickers have been bent so as to neutralize this torque,
or to exploit it by urging the keys upward.  Sometimes, in the course of
regulating lost motion, or replacing elbows, the wires can rotate, so that
the bend in the wire sticker is misaligned, forcing the key up or down, or
twisting the key sideways so that it binds on the pins.  Hard to describe,
but pretty obvious once you've experienced it.  First step in an elbow
replacement is to look for the bend and figure out how to get the wires back
in the same orientation.  If after you disconnect the sticker from the key
you find the key moves freely, and the wippen/hammer assembly returns
readily, look for a problem wit! h the sticker/key connection.

  Mike