perpetually sticking keys

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:27:35 -0600

Tom.

One more thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet:  sometimes the wire stickers can apply a forward or backward torque to the keys, depending on the fit of the regulating nut in the mortise at the back of the key.  Sometimes the wire stickers have been bent so as to neutralize this torque, or to exploit it by urging the keys upward.  Sometimes, in the course of regulating lost motion, or replacing elbows, the wires can rotate, so that the bend in the wire sticker is misaligned, forcing the key up or down, or twisting the key sideways so that it binds on the pins.  Hard to describe, but pretty obvious once you've experienced it.  First step in an elbow replacement is to look for the bend and figure out how to get the wires back in the same orientation.  If after you disconnect the sticker from the key you find the key moves freely, and the wippen/hammer assembly returns readily, look for a problem with the sticker/key connection.

Mike

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 1/24/2005 7:47:22 AM
Subject: Re: perpetually sticking keys

Thanks to all for the great advice.  I have some things to look for now.

I have to admit that there was nothing offered here that I hadn't heard of before.  Yet, when I wrote, I felt like I was at a dead end.  A fellow tech/friend once said to me, "The hardest thing about working on pianos is remembering the stuff that I know."  (Yogi Berra couldn't have said it any better.)

Thanks again.  I go on Wednesday to remedy the problem.  Wish me luck.

Tom Sivak