Bösendorfer sound

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:02:25 -0800

> So I have come to the conclusion that very much depends on the technician,
> whether he/she is able to cope with the instrument. I think that is actually
> the most difficult task : to tame a lion so that it will lick your paws and
> mew for milk.
>
> friendly greetings
> from
> André Oorebeek

Right on, right on, right on.  Within the limits of the instrument, the
crucial factor in performance or recording pianos is the preparation by the
technician/wizard.  Period. I have heard, many times, a piano sound and feel
like shoite, and then some hours later, sound like roaring angels in living
multicolor and feel like butter---transcendent. The first times I heard that
happen---thank you, thank you, Richard Davenport and Kenyon Brown---I was
hooked; I had to be able to do that, and my high-end journey started in
earnest.

I honor all wizards of our craft, past and present----intuitive, gifted men
and women with a hard edge of craft, brutal honesty, a deep tonal memory, a
passionate love for music, and an incredibly specialized and arcane
skillset.

We are lucky, lucky men, you and I, to be working on so many beautiful
instruments.  Thanks for everything, Andre.  You make this list sing.....

David Andersen