Re: Bösendorfer sound

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:13:37 +0100

On 23-jan-05, at 3:35, Joe Garrett wrote:

> Ron O. said: "They get quite good results from pp to mf, but at
> the higher output levels their designs don't seem
> to cope very well."
> =A0
> Ron,
> Yahoo! I'm so happy to hear someone else say that! I hate Bozies for=20=

> that reason. To put it in "musician's terms"....No Balls! They tend to=20=

> get all garbled and muddy at any level over mf, IMO. Beautifully made=20=

> instrument that is ideal in a "Chamber Music" setting. But, filling a=20=

> large, (read poor acoustical cavern), hall, it falls on it's butt,=20
> IMHO!
> Best Regards,
>

> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

But Joe, please allow me to say something...

If that's your opinion about THE B=F6sendorfer grand, then how can it be=20=

that at the same time I am of the opinion that B=F6sendorfers can make =
an=20
awful lot of sound?

I think we all agree that there is a difference between for instance=20
THE Steinway sound and the sound of other brands and we all=20
instinctively know what that difference is. The Steinway was built with=20=

pure power in mind. Every technical aspect of it points to the idea of=20=

creating tension and power, resulting in that booming Steinway we know=20=

so well.
For that reason, it has always surprised me that, although not with the=20=

same intensity and built differently, other brands are also capable of=20=

a roar.
Again, the transfer of power IS different and certainly not as=20
efficient as the Steinway, but take for instance a good CFIII-S like=20
the one built for Richter. Man, that was quite a machine! How about a=20
well prepared Schimmel concert grand, a Kawai (although we hardly see=20
them here), even a Petrof concert grand and... the B=F6sendorfer concert=20=

grand.
I was for training at one time at B=F6sendorfer  in Wien and I fell=20
deeply in love with not only the character, but also with the warmth=20
and the thundering power. Don't tell me that a B=F6sendorfer can not =
cope=20
with a symphony orchestra. They sure can, but I think it is purely a=20
matter of preparation, the regulation and the VOICING.
I have had the interesting educational experience that if you make a=20
Steinway D very beautiful, voicing wise, the instrument can not cope=20
anymore with an orchestra.  When I experienced that for the first time,=20=

I was so embarrassed and worked all night long to improve the=20
(percussive) power.  Two days later, there was the next piano concert=20
and then I was able to really hear and feel the sound of the D.  A week=20=

later of more work, and it had become a booming canon.
In Wien, almost all the concert halls have B=F6sendorfers, obviously you=20=

might say, but they sure are not made of wax.
I remember working on a Concert B=F6sendorfer here in Amsterdam. It was=20=

brought in by B=F6sendorfer because the National Austrian Orchestra=20
wanted to have a pitch of 445 Hz! I tuned it a couple of times to bring=20=

it up to the desired pitch and was amazed that evening by the power and=20=

clarity.

See, that event got me thinking about how it can be that although this=20=

instrument differs so completely from Steinways, it still has that=20
thundering power... in spite of spruce OUTER rims. (!)

It is my personal experience that a well trained technician can make=20
any instrument into a roaring dinosaur but within limits.  I have=20
listened to Richter on his famous Yamaha and there were moments where I=20=

began to doubt the ability of the treble to transfer that molest,=20
because Richter could be a piano lion himself. Nevertheless, the Yamaha=20=

stood up against the violence and did not even get out of tune (wow).

So I have come to the conclusion that very much depends on the=20
technician, whether he/she is able to cope with the instrument. I think=20=

that is actually the most difficult task : to tame a lion so that it=20
will lick your paws and mew for milk.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek