soundboards

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:28:20 -0500

Hi Dale,

We are coming at this from 2 different perspectives! The method of=20
crowning used for the soundboard is not an issue I'm considering, I'm=20
just relaying my ear's perspective based on my experience.

My 80 year Steinway L has 2 very thin cracks, has crown and a warmth of=20=

sound I haven't heard in new L's, and I live in the northeast which has=20=

large humidity swings - I don't even notice any significant lack of=20
sustain in any particular section. But even if my piano had cracks=20
galore, say like one of my friends' old Mason and Hamlin A (which=20
incidentally sounds quite nice), what difference does that make if it=20
has a more pleasing sound than a new one with no cracks?

-- John

> =A0=A0 HI John
> =A0 I think you've hit a VERY SIGNIFICANT cause of our objections to =
new=20
> the new piano shaped objects being sold at Costco or wherever.
> =A0 .Yeah The Hammers. Yes, & voicing,=A0 or a hammer transplant can=20=

> seriously improve things=A0And yet if the soundboard design & =
execution=20
> is lacking then the musical tone index goes down & the noise & aural=20=

> pain index goes up.
> =A0 My experience ,with most old Os & Ls from the 20's. is The rib=20
> support in these pianos is so lacking that 9 out of 10 boards I see in=20=

> these pianos are flat as pancakes and or have as many cracks as a=20
> venetian blind.
> =A0Now remember I'm in Calif. where pianos longevity is greatly =
enhanced=20
> by our climate. Providing that the pianos lived here most of there=20
> lives they've suffered less.. So what does that tell you about the=20
> conditions of others that have groaned thru harsh winters & summers?
> =A0=A0 My Advice to all is stop being so optimistic about the =
condition of=20
> old compression crowned boards. It's a method full of pitfalls which=20=

> is a self destructing method in which all crown has collapsed by now=20=

> =A0in pianos built 85 plus years ago
> =A0 Regards
> =A0 Dale=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...