Tuning Pin Torque Information

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:31:48 -0500

Oh Gordon, shame on you!   ;-)  =20

I know you are going to scream when you read this: the conversion for =
inch to foot is 12 inches =3D one foot!=20

Expressing tuning pin torque is correct either way, but inch-pounds are =
traditionally used by piano technicians.

So 12 ft.-lbs. equals 144 in.-lbs. (it's feet times pounds, not divided =
by). I've tuned many old uprights with tuning pin torque less than 50 =
in.-lbs. - too looses for my liking, but seems to hold a tuning pretty =
well. I find that anywhere in the 80 to 150 in.-lb. range will be fairly =
tunable. If I had to specify my favorite, I would say 100 in.-lbs.

Terry Farrell
  Hello List.  Back to my problem Yamaha C3 grand.  It has been =
suggested by others=20
  on the list that I check the pin torque.  I have researched the =
archives and also have read the section on the subject in Arthur Reblitz =
book Piano Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding.  His comment on tuning pin =
torque is ". . if it takes less than 50 inch pounds, than the pins are =
probably too loose. =20
  I read one archive comment on loose tuning pins by John Tuttle.  He =
states "I believe optimum torque to ne 12 Ft./lbs.
  I couldn't find anything more specific in the archives on the subject.
  Reblitz says "inch pounds" and Tuttle says "foot pounds". =20
  Which should it be "Inch" or "Foot".  I will assume that it can be =
either.
  And, is there a conversion on inch to foot?.
  Does anyone have some suggestions on tuning pin torque.  I would =
assume that the torque would be basically the same wether it is a grand, =
spinet or full upright.
  I thank you all in advance.
  Regards,=20
  Gordon Holley