Tuning Pin Torque Information

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:36:39 EST

Hello List.  Back to my problem Yamaha C3 grand.  It has been suggested by
others
on the list that I check the pin torque.  I have researched the archives and
also have read the section on the subject in Arthur Reblitz book Piano
Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding.  His comment on tuning pin torque is ". . if it takes
less than 50 inch pounds, than the pins are probably too loose.
I read one archive comment on loose tuning pins by John Tuttle.  He states "I
believe optimum torque to ne 12 Ft./lbs.
I couldn't find anything more specific in the archives on the subject.
Reblitz says "inch pounds" and Tuttle says "foot pounds".
Which should it be "Inch" or "Foot".  I will assume that it can be either.
And, is there a conversion on inch to foot?.
Does anyone have some suggestions on tuning pin torque.  I would assume that
the torque would be basically the same wether it is a grand, spinet or full
upright.
I thank you all in advance.
Regards,
Gordon Holley