Erard photos and tips for regulation

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:52:16 -0500

Dave,
Call me privately and I'll talk you through the entire process. =
Actually, it's regulates quite well but with a different point of =
perspective. I'm doing a 1906 Erard at this time, which is my 3rd Erard =
experience. Very remarkable instruments with exquisite workmanship =
throughout.
The backchecks are frontchecks with the spoon protruding through the =
shank window. Make sure to look at the condition of the checking =
material otherwise potential checking issues may occur.
Also note the manner in which damper lever works. Even though this would =
be an over-damper system, note the direction in which the spoon lever =
moves to engage the damper underlever is reversed. Lowering the spoon =
position causes the damper to engage sooner.
Prior years had an Under-damper system which had the damper pushing up =
to the underside of the strings. Count your blessings you aren't doing =
one of those!
If you are going to do new hammers, Ronsen will duplicate the short tail =
styled hammer molding to exact specifications. The shanks, on the other =
hand, are not being produced anywhere ( to my knowledge) so be extremely =
careful in the handling of those parts. If anyone knows anyone who can =
duplicate those types of shanks I will commission their services at this =
time.

Tom Servinsky
tompiano@bellsouth.net
Tom Servinsky