Erard photos and tips for regulation

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:32:41 EST

List,

I worked on an Erard from 1917 yesterday.  I was surprised to learn  that it
was only from 1917, because the action was somewhat alien to me.   Definitely
not a modern action.  Isn't it true that Erard was stubborn in  adopting
modern technology?  The "backchecks" are little tongues that stick  through the
repetition levers.  The hammers are shaped like an  upright's.

Though I did not have time to remove the mechanism--given that it needed a
100 cent + pitch raise(new strings, no problem), I was a bit short on  time--I
could tell it needed work.  Everything seemed either in good  original
condition, or replaced, but it needs regulation in a big way.  It  plays like a tank,
and has a few problems.

Anyone worked on one or more of these beasts?  I'm sure Ric, Andre,  and our
other European brothers have seen more of these than they'd care to
remember...How it works seem pretty self-explanatory, but any tips would be
appreciated.

Here are a couple of photos