Improving a Dampp Chaser system

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:09:00 -0500

Without argument, the wool string cover felt should be an essential item to
complete the damp chaser system. We are in S. Florida where tremendous
amounts of humidity exists, even with the best air conditioning systems. Add
to that the salt that resides in the air. All of our pianos, are equipped
with the damp chaser system, combined with the felt string cover.
Keep in mind that the premise on how the system works is more of a repelling
effect than the normal dehumidifying effect of gathering moisture into the
bucket.  The main problem with grand pianos is that  strings and soundboard
are fully exposed to the elements ,AND with the lid up, the heat from the
damp chaser system is not being contained. That's where the felt string
cover comes in. Sort of like a house with air conditioning with the windows
kept open vs. being able to close the windows. Controlling the environment.
With the felt cover in place you are essentially containing and creating an
environment impervious to the surrounding environment. And the differences
in tuning stability are enormous.
We are in the area that was hit by 2 hurricanes within 3 weeks of each
other. Which means we had power outages for up to 1 month. All of the pianos
with the felt covers didn't get a spot of rust where as all of the
instruments left fully exposed are needing to be restrung.
Additionally I was amazed at the tuning stability that the pianos that had
covers on vs. the ones which didn't. Again, the differences were night and
day.
Point being, the wool cover is preventing much of the moisture from even
getting to the essential parts of the piano. The damp chaser is the added
bonus.
Obviously for many of you living in different parts of the country without
these  types of problems probably won't agree with our findings. But use our
location as a beta test site of extreme humidity situations and their
effects on pianos.
I have pianos located directly ocean front which I have serviced for 22 yrs
and still remain showroom condition inside as the day the piano were
delivered. Pianos without the felt....strings breaking, hammers hard, action
funky....the list on goes on and on.
Muting:
With the lid down there is a muting effect, however with the lid up, there
is very little muting  to be notice.
We do add a fishing line and tie it around the nose bolts to prevent the
string from sagging as we don't buy the Edwards String Cover and simply make
our own ( Schaff part #29 String Cover Felt).
I hope this long winded reply sits well with ya'll.
Tom Servinsky