Improving a Dampp Chaser system

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:22:58 -0500

Hi Bob,
String cover and undercover both.
I did this recently, had the church ladies sew their own cover based on
my design.
Now, they protect the piano as if they built it.

Best regards,

Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Hull [mailto:hullfam5@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:26 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Improving a Dampp Chaser system

List,

A church customer of mine has their grand sitting
right by a large return air vent in their Sanctuary.
They have an older Dampp Chaser system which should
probably be upgraded.  (newer model humidistat, smart
heater bar and undercover).  This will protect the
inside and the bottom of the piano but leaves the top
open to the strong air flow across it.   Would you
recommend a cover for the piano or Edwards
String covers to complete the system?  Do the string
covers limit the sound much when left in place?

I have seen the effects of another church piano that
sits in the draft of a return air and it has a crack
in the soundboard that you can see through and the
piano is not much more than 10 years old.

Your comments appreciated -

Bob Hull