"luxury"

Maggie Jusiel mags@magsmusic.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:13:11 +1300 (NZDT)

>>Hi Carl,

>>I see luxury as being an asset.
>>I've never yet seen a luxury that was *cheap*.

>>What I do see is very talented well trained professional tuners
>>who are afraid to charge for their skill set.

>>At 05:54 PM 14/01/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>>>Problem with our business is that it's a luxury, whereas, a refrigerator,
stove,
>>>furnace, A/C are essentials to living.  Can't see anyone leaving a furnace
not
>>>working  for ten years, and fixing it so a house could be sold.
>>>
>>>Carl / Winnipeg

Aristotle said that leisure (luxury) is more important than business
because leisure was the goal of business.  ;)

I tune in an area that has lots of poverty.  There are some people who are
lucky enough to get a "free" piano, or one very cheap, but can't afford to
fix it up and/or care for it.  If someone lives in my immediate area (30
miles or less from my home), I will undercharge, big time.  I have worked
on pianos in moderately poor to extremely poor condition, but if I didn't
undercharge, they wouldn't have been worked on at all.  (I also learn alot
from them.)  These people can usually manage to have me come out every two
years or so, which keeps the pianos playable for their children.  I see it
as community service.  Of course, I still need to make a living, so I
charge a more comparative price for "out of town" work.  Some of these
people still don't value my work, but many do, and are very appreciative
for my services.  When someone doesn't have money, appreciation goes a
long way with me.  ;)  They value this luxury, and are extremely grateful
I can help them maintain it.  :D

...just my two cents...  ;)