"luxury"

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:29:59 +0100

On 16-jan-05, at 19:13, Maggie Jusiel wrote:

> Aristotle said that leisure (luxury) is more important than business
> because leisure was the goal of business.  ;)
>
> I tune in an area that has lots of poverty.  There are some people who
> are
> lucky enough to get a "free" piano, or one very cheap, but can't
> afford to
> fix it up and/or care for it.  If someone lives in my immediate area
> (30
> miles or less from my home), I will undercharge, big time.  I have
> worked
> on pianos in moderately poor to extremely poor condition, but if I
> didn't
> undercharge, they wouldn't have been worked on at all.  (I also learn
> alot
> from them.)  These people can usually manage to have me come out every
> two
> years or so, which keeps the pianos playable for their children.  I
> see it
> as community service.  Of course, I still need to make a living, so I
> charge a more comparative price for "out of town" work.  Some of these
> people still don't value my work, but many do, and are very
> appreciative
> for my services.  When someone doesn't have money, appreciation goes a
> long way with me.  ;)  They value this luxury, and are extremely
> grateful
> I can help them maintain it.  :D
>
> ...just my two cents...  ;)

As long as you can eat and live and be content with your way of life,
you will have a very fine memory of the grits of life, of the people
who try so hard to make a living and stay alive.
To be a part of that process  id the gist of life itself.

I have great respect for you....

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek