piano techs and their cars

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:42:42 +0100

John, It makes no sense because it depends on where you live and on the=20=

society you are living in.
I live a society of average everything with some extremes in craziness,=20=

like in most countries on Earth.
Conditions like the Bronx in NYC you will not find here, but walking=20
through the red light district where a great number of prostitutes sit=20=

behind windows (which sometimes reminds of visiting the aquarium at the=20=

zoo) is another extreme you will not find so blatantly in most cities=20
either.
For 26 years I have lived in the very centre of Amsterdam, 8 minutes=20
walking away from the red light district.
I personally find that area (the red light district) absolutely scummy=20=

and revolting, but the funny thing is that it is absolutely safe.=20
Hordes of Chinese and Japanese tour groups hobble over the cobble=20
stones gawking and yelping at the nude women. You will not be molested,=20=

your car is reasonably safe till 1 in the morning (after 1 am I would=20
not vouch for that).
The area I lived in for 26 years is called the "Grachtengordel". It is=20=

the most beautiful old part of Amsterdam with its canals circling=20
around the heart, the oldest part of town.
That's where I had most of my break ins and burglaries, but I am sure=20
that most of it was caused by scummy junks.
Now I live in a very quiet residential area just outside the=20
Grachtengordel. A lot of older folks (like me haha) live here and it is=20=

a real geriatric neighborhood. Nobody here is very rich but they are=20
well off, so to speak.
When I came back from vacation, a whole lot of cars along the canal=20
where I live on had been damaged with a sharp object and my car maybe=20
looked a little too nice, so they had broken into it and thrashed it.
Just 200 meters away starts the real rich "south" called the "gold=20
coast".
That's a place where every house has burglary alarm, fences, security=20
patrols and dogs.

I know that the Bronx is really much worse and I guess where I live is=20=

comparable to many other places.

maybe we can learn something from them A-rabs after all? They love=20
chopping paws and heads....
The older I get, the more I'm for it..........

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 15-jan-05, at 16:54, John Ross wrote:

> Would you guys, who have things stolen from their vehicles make a list=20=

> of=A0your locations. I want to avoid those locations. :-)
> Seriously, I consider myself very lucky, I have been driving for over=20=

> 50 years, and never had a vehicle broken into, or anything stolen,=20
> from myself, house or car.
> After reading about the woes of people on the list, I guess I will=20
> have to watch myself on my way to the next convention. I always drive=20=

> to them.
> =A0
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada