Pitch Raise and String Breakage

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:02:09 -0800

I always bring up the "disclaimer" when raising pitch at the=
 beginning of an appointment.
David I.

Original message
From: Dean May
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Hi Matt,

I think it is best to always be up front when people ask. We=
 quote the standard tuning rate and say that if it has been=
 awhile since the last tuning and the pitch has fallen, it could=
 be up to twice the normal rate, depending on how low it is.=
 Since I rarely break strings, I don't mention string breakage.=
 But if it happens, I  just explain that sometimes it happens=
 when bringing the tension up this much. I never have anyone=
 upset over that.

If there are broken notes the explanation is that most any broken=
 note problem can be fixed for $25-$50 each. But it may be less,=
 even free, if for example it is only a lodged paper clip. Then=
 it is stated that there is no way of giving an accurate quote=
 without examining the piano.

I used to not be careful to do the phone quote, only the=
 evaluation and quotation at the start of the tuning appointment.=
 I found much more  resistance to having the work done, and often=
 people felt like I was gouging them. Now when a piano needs a pr=
 I don't even say anything, unless they ask. It was already=
 covered on the phone call. I just do it and charge accordingly.

On the Damp-Chaser installation, I usually try to sell the job=
 before the tuning is done. If it is right after I've tuned,=
 sometimes I will delay installation for 2-3 months and explain=
 it will need tuned again. If I don't think they will do the=
 second tuning, I will just do the install without the delay. I=
 may explain that the  piano will go out a little sooner. If that=
 happens they just need to have it retuned. I know the piano will=
 eventually get straightened out and if they call back to=
 complain on the tuning (rare occurence) they accept the=
 explanation.

The big frustration with these systems is when you go out to a=
 regular client (churches, usually) and find the system unplugged=
 or dry and the piano +/- 15 cents. Then what do you do? I=
 usually eat the lost appointment, plug it in/fill it up, and=
 reschedule for two weeks. Sometimes I will change the pads and=
 charge $25 for a service call and pad change so it is not a=
 total loss. If it is not a regular customer (i.e., 2-3 years=
 between appointments) I'll go ahead and tune it, but not put it=
 all the way on pitch.

To combat this problem I started carrying the 6 outlet adaptors=
 and cord locks. If the outlet is crowded I don't even ask,=
 usually, I just install the 6 outlet adaptor. If it is not a=
 crowded outlet, I just put on the cord lock, a plastic strip the=
 traps the cord against the outlet cover that makes it hard to=
 unplug the cord.

Blessings,

Dean