Dampp-Chasers and Piano Tuning/attn. SF techs

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:58:27 -0800

Humidity is at it's lowest in SF at the moment.  Very cold air, heating
on, no fog.  If you come back in June it's likely that the humidity will
be over 70% and the pianos will have gone sharp.  That being said, some
houses are able to maintain lower indoor levels.  Nevertheless, I always
recommend a DC for most SF customers.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 6:42 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Dampp-Chasers and Piano Tuning/attn. SF techs

I've got a Dampp-Chaser question for techs who work in San Francisco a
fair amount.  Davids Love and Ilvedson come to mind readily.

San Fancisco is a notoriously foggy area, with year round humidity and
cool air.  "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San
Francisco," Mark Twain once said.  I have several clients there.  I was
there yesterday, around seven months after the previous tunings for the
two customers I visited, fully ready to install heater bar/humidistat
combinations in each of the two small Korean grands.

Much to my surprise, both pianos were right at pitch, and unisons were
fairly solid in both.  Humidity in the houses was around 50-55% in both
cases.

My question is this:  once the piano has acclimatized to SF, will the
tuning remain stable without climate control?  There is certainly less
variation in climate there than there is in the South Bay, where it gets
both colder in the winter and hotter and drier in the summer.

It seems to me, I need to continue to monitor regulation, centers, and
string condition.  One of the pianos came from Denver about 3 years ago,
and since they arrived, the hammers lifted about 3/4" off the rail.

I'm curious about the experiences in these matters of techs who spend
alot of time in SF.

Thanks!

Dave Stahl