Dampp-Chasers and Piano Tuning/attn. SF techs

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:41:54 EST

I've got a Dampp-Chaser question for techs who work in San Francisco a fair
amount.  Davids Love and Ilvedson come to mind readily.

San Fancisco is a notoriously foggy area, with year round humidity and cool
air.  "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco," Mark
Twain once said.  I have several clients there.  I was there  yesterday, around
seven months after the previous tunings for the two customers  I visited,
fully ready to install heater bar/humidistat combinations in each of  the two
small Korean grands.

Much to my surprise, both pianos were right at pitch, and unisons were
fairly solid in both.  Humidity in the houses was around 50-55% in both  cases.

My question is this:  once the piano has acclimatized to SF, will the  tuning
remain stable without climate control?  There is certainly less  variation in
climate there than there is in the South Bay, where it gets both  colder in
the winter and hotter and drier in the summer.

It seems to me, I need to continue to monitor regulation, centers, and
string condition.  One of the pianos came from Denver about 3 years ago,  and since
they arrived, the hammers lifted about 3/4" off the rail.

I'm curious about the experiences in these matters of techs who spend alot
of time in SF.

Thanks!

Dave Stahl