Another Dampp-Chaser Question

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:14:12 -0800 (PST)

I went to tune a grand last weekend, and this piano already had a complete system installed from a previous tech.  So I went down there to check it out.  Everything was installed perfectly, except one thing I had a question on, and wasn't sure if it was okay or not.

Where the baffle is attached to the hanger rods, the baffle is flush against the ribs.  I know the instructions tell you to make sure there is a little bit of clearance between the baffle and ribs of the soundboard, otherwise you need break out the hacksaw and shorten the hanger rods.  My question is, do I need to do something about this, or is it okay where it is, and it won't damage the piano, and the system will still work properly with the baffle touching the ribs?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Todd
Todd Piano Works
Piano Tuner/Technician