Growing Lead weights

Brian Lawson ptg@pianotech.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:52:33 +0200

Here in dry, high altitude Joburg I have a S&S upright I'm currently =
sorting out with GLWS

Brian
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: 14 January, 2005 2:39 PM
  Subject: Re: Growing Lead weights

  Arthur,

  The conventional wisdom is that impurities in the lead cause a =
reaction that results in the corrosion observed. I suppose a similar =
phenomena to the YC growing action bracket thing. There is tons of stuff =
in the pianotech list archives on this subject. The conventional wisdom =
goes further to suggest that grinding the existing lead down is commonly =
a temporary solution.

  I run into GLWS every now and then over here in the Tampa area also, =
but I suspect it is no more common in Florida than anywhere else. Check =
the archives - you can read all about it until your eyes glaze over.

  Terry Farrell
    OK List,

    Been encountering growing lead balance weights in keys down here in =
sunny Florida.  Recently contracted to work on a Baldwin concert grand =
that was kept in un air conditioned room for years.  Place didn't know =
the piano existed.  Keyboard is mostly frozen from "Growing Lead Weights =
Syndrome" (GLWS).=20

    I have encountered other pianos down here with the same GLWS and =
sanded them smooth, tightened them if they were loose and gone on with =
life.  What causes this? =20

    Arthur Marino