Growing Lead weights

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:39:16 -0500

further to suggest that grinding the existing lead down is commonly a =
temporary solution.

I run into GLWS every now and then over here in the Tampa area also, but =
I suspect it is no more common in Florida than anywhere else. Check the =
archives - you can read all about it until your eyes glaze over.

Terry Farrell
  OK List,

  Been encountering growing lead balance weights in keys down here in =
sunny Florida.  Recently contracted to work on a Baldwin concert grand =
that was kept in un air conditioned room for years.  Place didn't know =
the piano existed.  Keyboard is mostly frozen from "Growing Lead Weights =
Syndrome" (GLWS).=20

  I have encountered other pianos down here with the same GLWS and =
sanded them smooth, tightened them if they were loose and gone on with =
life.  What causes this? =20

  Arthur Marino