Hammer height conundrum on a '46 Hardman grand

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:58:27 -0500

George,

The answer to your question is not as cut and dried as you would like for it
to be. You are delving into an area that took me 10 years to realize there
was more going on that I had thought. And I am still learning, as many of us
on this list are. So what you are asking us to share with you in a few short
paragraphs is something that has taken me 25 years to learn.

You are wanting specifications that you can measure and adjust (don't we
all). When it comes to regulating grand piano actions, the specs really only
get us a starting place, especially when working on an old piano such as
yours where the specs you have may be suspect. It is our challenge to
balance all of the specs in a way that will get us close let off, adequate
blow distance, good repetition speed, and, perhaps most importantly,
sufficient after touch.

With the symptoms you have described, I would probably try increasing the
blow distance to 1 7/8 or 2", making sure I could get close let off and have
sufficient after touch. Before you do this, of course, you need to make sure
your foundation is good, i.e., keyframe bedded, keys leveled, key adequate
dip.

The Amazon link to the Reblitz book Ric referenced is:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1879511037/qid=1105534210/sr=2-1/ref=
pd_ka_b_2_1/102-9681584-8821755

You must purchase and read this book if you are at all serious. On my first
restoration project I had spent hundreds of dollars on a new set of hammers
and regulation. The results weren't great but I thought probably the best
that could be accomplished on a 70 year old piano. Using this book and only
tools around the house, I re-regulated my piano and couldn't believe the
difference. Having done only a little research I was able to do so much
better than the guy faking his way through life as a piano technician that
it persuaded me to go into the business. Maybe it will you also. ;-)

Blessings,

Dean May